November 02, 2019
America Recycles Day is coming up on November 15th – although recycling remains an everyday opportunity to make the world a better place, the annual “Keep America Beautiful” trademark day serves as a friendly reminder to reduce, reuse, recycle and shop recycled products. No matter how you choose to celebrate this America Recycles Day, consider local nonprofits when recycling or purchasing things like home good items, furniture, building supplies and more. Read on for five ways to celebrate America Recycles Day with the ReStore.
1. Don’t dump, donate!
- Comal County Habitat for Humanity ReStore accepts donations of new and gently-used home good items, furniture, building materials and more. Funds raised from sales in the ReStore contribute to the overall cost of building Habitat for Humanity homes in Comal County. Since its inception, ReStores across the nation have saved over 13,000,000 pounds of usable construction materials and 200 tons of furniture, appliances and home good items from landfills. Comal County ReStore’s donation center is open 6 days a week and even offers a pick-up service for large or bulky donations. Call us to schedule a donation pick-up at (830) 625-4025 or fill out our donation form online at www.comalhabitat.org/restore/donate.
2. Shop recycled items.
- New and gently-used donated items are sold to the public at a fraction of the retail cost, saving customers up to 75% off the item’s original value. That means you can save BIG on all of your home improvement needs – from furniture to home décor, building supplies and more. Shopping recycled and donated items gives that item a second life, saves you money and has a positive impact on our environment.
3. From donation to DIY
- Repurposing/reusing an item to be functional piece of your home is a great way to reduce the amount of items in our landfills. For fun ReStore DIY inspiration and tips, check out this article from Habitat for Humanity International.
- Volunteers are the backbone and heart of Comal County Habitat for Humanity and the ReStore. Spend a few hours with us processing donated items in our Donation Center or help sell donated items in the ReStore. No skills or experience are necessary to volunteer with us – we’ll provide training and the tools you need to have a great experience. To sign up to volunteer, visit our volunteer page.
5. Spread the word.
- As America Recycles Day approaches, help raise awareness about the ReStore by sharing our posts on social media or talking to your friends, neighbors and co-workers about our mission. Together, we can make a positive difference on the environment and in the lives of families in our community.
The ReStore funds the mission of Comal County Habitat for Humanity by selling new and gently-used home good items directly to the public. Funds raised from the ReStore go toward building Habitat homes in our community, as well as cover many administrational and operational expenses for Comal County Habitat. This provides donors the opportunity for their donation to go directly to the building of safe, decent and affordable homes.
To learn more about America Recycles Day, visit americarecyclesday.org.